Caramelized Onion Omlette from Andalusia
Zucchini Pancakes with Scallion and Herbs
Spicy Pork Kebabs with Moorish Flavors
Pinchitos are heavily seasoned miniature meat kebabs grilled aver a charcoal-fired hibachi or brazier. The spice mixture is of North African and Middle Eastern influence but the use of pork is not. Pork consumption is forbidden by the Muslim religion. In Spain, pork is favored but in North Africa, beef and lamb predominate.
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound lean pork, cut into ¾- to 1-inch cubes
1. In a mortar, pound the garlic with a pinch of salt to make a paste.
2. In a dry skillet, heat the coriander seeds, paprika, cumin seeds, thyme, crushed red pepper and curry powder until hot and aromatic, 30 seconds. Remove from the pan and put the mixture into a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. Grind to make a fine powder. In a bowl, combine the garlic, spices, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, ¾ teaspoon salt, pepper, and pork cubes. Toss well to coat completely and let marinate several hours, mixing occasionally.
3 Skewer the pork. Broil or grill over coals, turning every 2 to 3 minutes, unti! well browned and still juicy, about 10 to 15 minutes. Baste occasionally with the marinade. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 skewers to serve 6.