PROGRAM FOR JUNE 27
(subject to change)
Audience: scientists, doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, importers, manufacturers, distributors, directors of different food service programs, procurement directors, etc.
- 8:30 Registration
- 9:00 am Introductions and welcoming remarks Andrew Gelfuso AVP International Trade Center; Daniela Puglielli, MDR Founder.
- 9:15 am – Introducing the MDR Community on the Web Port Global – Jim Krzywicki, COO WebPort Global
- 9:30 am – 10:10 am: Nutrition Education in Primary Schools: an international perspective and Innovative Approaches. Francesca Scazzina, Università di Parma (Italy). Early education in nutrition is a crucial steep to fight childhood obesity and dependency. A seed for lifetime wellness and health.
- 10:10 am – 10:40 am: Global challenges for adaptation of plant based diets. Prof. Eric Decker Professor and Head of the Department of Food Science at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- 10:40 am Coffee break and Get in Shape with Laurent Amzallag
- 11:00 to 12:15 In Sickness and in Health: Mediterranean Diet Applications across the Continuum of Care. This panel of experts, moderated by experienced nutrition and healthcare executive, Mary Angela Miller, MS, RDN, LD, will discuss implementation and implications at each stage of the healthcare cycle. Care Experts: Community Care: Michael Folino, RDN, LD, Associate Director, Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH. Acute Care: Angelo Mojica, Ph.D., RD, CEC, Senior Director of Nutrition and Culinary Services, Johns Hopkins Health Services, Baltimore, MD. Extended Care: Suzanne Cryst, RDN, CSG, LD, Nutrition Services Director, Hickory Ridge Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, Akron OH. Chronic Care: Amanda Goldman, Director, Diabetes & Nutrition Care, KentuckyOne Health, Lexington, KY.
- 12:30 – 2:00 pm Experiential lunch with educational tasting about Mediterranean Flavors.
- 2:00 pm to 2:30 pm COUNTRY PRESENTATION: CYPRUS, the gem of the Mediterranean Sea. Hon. Aristos Constantine, Trade Commissioner, Cyprus Embassy Trade Center.
- 2:30 pm – 3:00 pm Menus of Change: Reframing and Advancing the Mediterranean Diet. Greg Drescher, VP Culinary Institute of America
- 3:00 – 3:30 pm Challenges to Progress in School Food: Farmers, Manufacturers, and Food Policy Fundamentals. Prof. Parke Wilde, Ph.D. – Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University.
- 3:30 – 4:30 pm Challenges to Progress in School Food: Key Stakeholders on the Long Road to Implementing the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act. A panel discussion about how science and consensus-based school food regulations, which had previously enjoyed bipartisan support, became politicized to the point of reversal, reopening a debate health advocates believed to be settled. Moderated by Prof. Parke Wilde. With Colin Schwartz, Deputy Director, Legislative Affairs, Vice President for Nutrition, Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI); Fania Yangarber, Executive Director, Healthy School Food Maryland; Elizabeth Marchetta, Executive Director, Food and Nutrition Department, Baltimore City Public Schools
At the end: Roundtable discussion with the audience and all the speakers.