Pea and Leek Soup (Hortosoupa)
Braised Giant Beans with Spinach (Gigantes me Spanaki)
Lentil Salad with Oranges
Serves 4 to 6
Protein-packed and colorful, this lentil salad is great on its own or paired with your grilled protein of choice.
Feel free to add your favorite vegetables or a different citrus fruit to make it your own!
by Chef Maria Loi
- 2 cups lentils (preferably brown or red)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 or 5 scallions (white and light-green parts only), sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red apple, unpeeled, diced
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, stemmed and chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 orange
- White wine vinegar
- Rinse the lentils. In a saucepan, cover the lentils with lightly salted water; bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook until tender, about 50 minutes. Drain the lentils and allow them to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the scallions, red onion, cucumber, bell pepper, apple, oranges, parsley, olive oil, orange juice, and salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
- Stir in the lentils and mix well. Set the salad aside for about 10 minutes before serving so that the flavors can develop.