Couscous With Lamb and Vegetable
Couscous With Beef and Vegetables
Lamb Tagine with Dried Fruit
2 tbsp Olive oil
500 g Lean boneless lamb, cubed
1 Onion, chopped
¼ tsp Saffron
500 ml Vegetable stock, hot
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 orange, zested, cut into strips
¼ tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
½ tsp Ground coriander
½ tsp Harissa, or to taste
1 tbsp Runny honey
16 Baby onions, peeled
125 g Ready-to-eat stoned dates
125 g Ready-to-eat dried apricots
2 400g cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp Chopped walnuts
1. Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the cubes of lamb and fry until lightly browned.
2. Push the meat to one side and add the chopped onion to the pan. Fry for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden.
3. Stir the saffron into the hot stock, then pour into the pan. Add the tomato purée, strips of orange zest and spices. Stir well, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer gently for 1½ hours.
4. Uncover the pan and take out about a teacup of the sauce. Stir in the harissa and honey, then stir this back into the pan.
5. Add the baby onions, dates, prunes and stir to mix. Simmer gently, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Season to taste and scatter the roasted whole almonds over the top, then serve.
Rice University (Johnny Curet)