Orzo with Feta and marinated Peppers
Greek-Style Pea casserole
Peas are stewed in a rich tornato sauce with carrot and potato in this delicious casserole that can be enjoyed as a main course with some good feta and bread.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil 1 medium onion (any variety), diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb (450g) peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 medium tomatoes, grated, or 12oz (340g) canned crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup hot water Salt to taste
1. Add the olive oil to a medium pot aver medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the onions and sauté tor 2 minutes. Add the carrots and potatoes, and sauté tor 3 more minutes;
2. Add the peas and dill. Stir until the peas are coated in the olive oil;
2. Add the tomatoes, sea salt, black pepper, and hot water. Mix well. Bring to the mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer far 40 minutes or until the peas and carrots are soft and the casserole has thickened (Check the water levels intermittently, adding more hot water if the mixture appears to be getting too dry);
4. Remove the casserole from the heat, uncover, and set aside far20 minutes. Add salt to taste before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator tor up to 3 days.