Lamb Tagine with Dried Fruit
Couscous With Lamb and Vegetable
2 quarts Water (or beef broth)
2 cups Water (or beef broth), to use during couscous procedure
1 Large yellow onion, chopped
1 Large tomato, diced
4 lbs Lamb shoulder or lamb shank, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 bouquet Parsley
½ cup Olive oil
½ tsp Saffron
½ tsp Ground ginger
To taste Salt
1 tbsp Black pepper
24 ounces Couscous
1 lb Green and yellow zucchini cut in half lengthwise
1 lb Baby carrots
1 lb Potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
½ head Cabbage, diced
1 lb Peas, fresh or frozen
2 Rutabagas, peeled and diced
2 Large turnips, peeled and cut into quarters
½ cup Butter, softened
Bay leaves and fresh thyme may also be added to the recipe; Whole jalapeños can also be added to the vegetables.
1. Mix all spices in a dish and set aside.
2. Chop meat into large chunks. Heat oil. Brown meat on all sides for 5 minutes.
3. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
4. Add water, spices, and tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add carrots and potato pieces. Cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add zucchini and bell pepper to stew. Cook for 20 minutes.
7. Add the chickpeas and cook last 5-10 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, prepare onion topping. Sauté onions to a light brown color.
9. Add rest of topping ingredients and cook till caramelized and bubbly. Set aside.
10. Boil the water for couscous. Add chicken base and butter.
11. Add couscous.
12. Once the couscous is added, leave it alone for 5 minutes.